We are glad you are considering AFLBS! We are committed to help you every step of the way through the admissions process.
AFLBS welcomes all applicants who are personally committed to faith in Jesus Christ regardless of race, gender, age, or national or ethnic heritage.
- It is expected that those who seek entrance to AFLBS do so because of an earnest desire to know Christ more intimately, to follow Him more closely, and to serve Him more faithfully.
- In order that every student may make the most of his or her time and opportunity, he or she is expected to observe faithfully the guidelines of the school, outlined in the AFLBS Student Handbook.
- Students must complete the application procedure (outlined below).
- A high school diploma and a minimum GPA of 2.00 from the high school or college previously attended.*
- Students must provide proof of health care coverage upon enrollment.
* Probationary Acceptance may be considered for students with a GED Certificate or for applicants who do not meet the minimum 2.00 GPA requirement. See section titled “Probationary Acceptance” in the AFLBS Catalog.
A student must complete the following application process to be considered for admission to the Association Free Lutheran Bible School:
- Complete the application form.
- Include the application fee. This is required for all applications unless waived according to the application deadlines.
- Submit High School Transcripts to the AFLBS Admissions office. Arrange to have your final transcript sent in June. Also, request official transcripts from any colleges you have attended.
- Provide two references: One reference must be your pastor, and the other reference may be a spiritual mentor, teacher, or employer. Supply email addresses for these references in the online application. A third reference will be requested in some circumstances.
- A $100 deposit is required to secure a place at AFLBS and to enroll in classes. Click here to submit payment online.
- The Medical History Form and the Physical Examination Form are due to the AFLBS Office by August 1 if enrolling for the fall semester.
Ready to take the next step? Apply online below.
Application Deadlines and Incentives
- Applications are still being accepted for this fall. When you apply you will receive an AFLBS T-shirt. You must also pay a $50 application fee
Fall 2020 – Application Now Open!
- By September 15, 2019: receive a $25 Amazon gift card, $50 to the Campus Store, an AFLBS Hoodie, pay no application fee.
- By November 15, 2019: receive a $25 Amazon gift card, $25 to the Campus Store, an AFLBS Camelbak, pay no application fee.
- By January 15, 2020: receive $25 to the Campus Store, an AFLBS t-shirt, and no application fee.
- By March 15, 2020: receive an AFLBS T-shirt, no application fee.
- By June 15, 2020: receive an AFLBS T-shirt, pay $25 application fee.
- After June 15, 2020: receive an ALBS T-shirt, pay $50 application fee.
(Early incentives will be given to international students upon their arrival on campus.)
Applications will be considered when all the necessary paperwork has been received. Once your file is complete and reviewed by the AFLBS Admissions Team and the AFLBS Dean, you will be notified by mail if you have been accepted.
Scholarship and Aid
Financial Aid based scholarships are still available for the 2019-20 school year.
There are several different types of scholarships for which incoming and current AFLBS students can apply for the 2020-21 school year: Academic, Financial Aid, Music, Leadership Development, Family in Ministry, and Future Ministry Scholarships. You can apply for more than one of these scholarship categories. Please read through the requirements and descriptions of these scholarships and apply for those you are interested/qualified in receiving. All applicants must fill out the first portion of this application.
AFLBS is authorized under federal laws to enroll non-immigrant students. International applicants need to apply well in advance of normal deadlines due to the additional processing time required to accommodate the additional requirements.
International Admission Requirements
International students have the same admission requirements as those listed under Admission Requirements and Application Procedure in the AFLBS Academic Catalog with the addition of the following:
- English proficiency: All students, regardless of national origin, must demonstrate English proficiency. A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required of all international applicants from countries where English is not one of the official languages. This test must be taken in the applicant’s home country. Students must achieve a minimum passing TOEFL score for admission. The AFLBS identification number for the TOEFL exam is B488.
- Letter of Financial Backing: This should be a document from the student’s sponsor (or the individual if providing self-support) certifying that financial resources are available to pay the expenses while the student is in the United States. Bank statements that substantiate the ability to meet financial obligations should be notarized and in English with funds converted to US dollars.
- The U.S. Government requires that all individuals desiring to come and study at AFLBS need a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status), to apply for the F-1 student visa. After a student has been officially accepted by AFLBS and provided documentation of the resources to finance their education, AFLBS inputs this data into SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). The SEVIS database processes the information and produces an I-20 which AFLBS then delivers to the student to complete the application process.
- Character References are required from a Pastor, Spiritual Mentor and Teacher or Employer.
Guide to Studying in the States
International students who come to the United States must follow certain rules and procedures. Different rules apply depending on a student’s education level and student type.
Please visit the Guide to Studying in the States website to familiarize yourself with International student requirements and rules.
International Application Procedure
- Complete the application form online by May 1. International student application forms are online (www.aflbs.edu/apply).
- A $100 non-refundable application fee in U.S. funds.
- Official high school and other college transcripts are required, listing courses taken, number of credits, and grades received. If the transcript is in another language, a school official or other authorized person must translate it into English. Information on the school’s grading system should accompany the transcript. A diploma or certificate of graduation may be required.
- Health form must be completed by a physician and be sent to the registrar prior to acceptance. Proof of immunizations is required. All international students must provide proof of medical insurance coverage from their home countries or purchase medical insurance coverage in the United States. Download the Health Record Form here.
- The application includes needed character references from your Pastor, Spiritual Mentor, and a teacher or employer.
When all of the application information has been received, AFLBS will consider the application for acceptance. If accepted, the applicant will receive a packet that contains a letter of acceptance, the I-20 form, the financial documents provided, and copies of helpful information from two websites.
When the applicant has received the I-20, they must go online to this website to pay the I-901 fee https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.html#. Information from the I-20 is needed to complete the form I-901. A valid credit card is needed to pay the $350 fee. Print the receipt of payment as it will be needed at the United States Embassy.
All of these documents, (i) I-20 (signed & dated), (ii) Letter of Acceptance, (iii) I-901 receipt, (iv) financial documentation and (v) valid passport should be taken to a United States Embassy in the applicant’s home country. Only the embassy can grant F-1 student status allowing the individual to travel to the United States as a student. Students can apply for an F-1 visa one hundred twenty (120) days before their school start date. Government regulations do not allow a student on an F-1 visa to come to the US until thirty (30) days before their school start date.
AFLBS has limited scholarship funds to financially assist international students. Students must apply for these scholarships and are not guaranteed funding. Because of USCIS regulations, employment possibilities for international students are restricted to on-campus jobs, which are limited. AFLBS cannot guarantee housing, jobs, etc. to any students during the summer months. The U.S. government requires that international students must have sufficient financial resources to cover all expenses related to attendance for each academic year. These expenses include, but are not limited to, tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, personal expenses, and round-trip air transportation.
International students registered under a student visa must carry at least twelve (12) credits each semester to maintain their eligibility to remain in the United States.
If you have questions about the international student application process, contact Jean Erickson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The admissions staff is here to help answer your questions. Whether you want more information about classes, student life, and scholarships or have questions about the application process, we have your best interests in mind.
1. Is a health form required?
The Health Form is not required for acceptance to AFLBS, but it is required before the student enrolls in classes. The Health Form along with proof of health insurance is required by August 1.
2. When do I pay the application fee?
The application fee is waived if you apply by March 15. If you apply after this date the application fee must be paid at the time your online application is submitted to AFLBS. This can be paid online with “application fee” in the payment description.
3. Do I need to put down a deposit?
Yes. A $100 deposit is required once a student is accepted to secure his/her spot. The deposit is due July 1. This can be paid online with “AFLBS deposit” in the payment description.
4. When do I make my first payment?
Either the full semester amount or the minimum down payment of $3,700 is due at the time of registration for the semester you are applying for. This amount should be paid online. It is also possible to deliver payment to the office in the form of cash, check, money order or cashier’s check. Payment plans may be arranged with the AFLBS Student Accounts Manager. Pre-payments can be made at any time. For more details on costs and payments, please refer to the AFLBS Financial Planning Sheet.
5. What are the application deadlines?
Application deadlines are available here.